-  Off- road cycling routes guide - Cyclist’s Cafe Guide - Members and Site Blog - Where’s the Brew Stop?   -


The South Lakes Group


Your local off-road cycle touring club

 For cyclists who love off road leisure cycling in South Lakes and Yorkshire Dales


Part of the ‘Where the Brew Stop? The off-road cycle touring website’. The site about off-road cycle touring routes, cyclist’s cafes, local group events , the South Lakes Group and good photos.


Notes of Cumbria Cycle Co-ordination Group Meeting


held at the County Council Offices,Kendal


 on 3rd March 2006


Present :


Jonathan Smith (Chair) ,Cumbria County Council

Allan McNicoll , Cumbria County Council

Jason Dixey, Cumbria County Council

Guy Weller, Cumbria County Council

Graham Wheelhouse Cumbria County Council

Richard Greenwood , Cumbria Tourism Board

Alex McCoskrie, Cumbria Tourism Board

Richard Greene, Cumbria Tourism Board

Rupert Douglas, Cooper Douglas Partnership

Nick Cotton, Consultant

Alastair McNeill , South Lakeland District Council   

Chris Ford, Cycle Active

Andy Miles, Sustrans

Dave Lowe, Forestry Commission

Robin Martakies, Windermere Lake Cruises

Deborah Hall, Hadrian’s Wall Tourism Partnership

Iain Mann, Yorkshire Dales National Park Authority

Jo Cleary, Cleary Stevens Consultancy/Gill Cycles/Friends of Lake District

Philip Webster, YHA: Millom

Toby Harling, Carlisle City Council

Jessica Goodfellow, Eden District Council

Carol Robertson, Copeland Borough Council

David Bannerman, Amey Mouchel (Highways Agency)

Barney Hill, Lake District National Park Authority

Paul Lee, Stagecoach North West

Richard Ingham, Capita Symonds

   


1.Introductions



2.Apologies


Mark Sandamass, Pennine Events

Simon Wilson, North Pennines AONB

Ted Liddle, Transport Initiatives Consultancy

John Colhoun, West Cumbria Cycle Forum

John Reynolds, Allerdale BC

Kathyrn O’Brien, Northern Trains

Andrew Beavon, (Total Adventure) Grizedale Mountain Bike Centre

Jim Loxham, National Trust

Haydn Morris, Consultant

Steve Taylor, Capita Symonds



3.Minutes of Meeting of 23rd June 2005


Agreed


4.Cycle Tourism Prospectus


It is proposed to hold a half day workshop in May (either 19th or 26th ) to launch the prospectus to organisations which support/involved in cycle tourism.Organised by CTB and all members of the Cycle Co-ordination Group will be invited


Action Pt : Richard Greenwood to invite Cycle Co-ordination Group to workshop.



There was general concensus that the identification and development of cycle hubs was integral to taking forward the ‘prospectus’ .The need for a full time cycle –co-ordinator to do this was raised.


The funding from the County Council for the proposed cycle co-ordinator was not available though  the funding could be considered again for 2007/08.


The need to explore options to find the funding through other sources was raised with funding for the Community Rail Partnership Officer on the ‘Windermere Railway ‘being used as a possible example.


Action Pt : Richard Greenwood to write to Local Authorities and other Agencies seeking support.


5. Cycling Events/2007 Festival


A range of events are proposed for this year with the Cycling Festival in 2007 to be at Lowther.


The CTB will be marketing cycling events at the British  tourism show ? in Birmingham.

and the RU up 4 IT brochure will be revised.


The popularity of cycling events was highlighted though they need someone to organise them.   




6. Cumbria Cycling Map


A short presentation was given on the map which is presently being produced in time for April launch.Retailing at £2 , it will provide ideas for both tourists and residents of potential areas of the County for cycling including identifying quiet roads /off road routes for families as well as public transport information.As well as TIC’s , bike shops could  be used to sell it with possible scope for circulation through Hills.


The aim will be for this map to be followed by more detailed maps/leaflets covering specific areas of the County.



The issue of the need to ensure all  future maps/leaflets  had clear similar branding was raised and a potential example of what this could look like was circulated.The problem of ensuring similiar branding with the Hadrians Wall Tourism publication was highlighted ; particular difficulties with publications across county boundaries.


It was proposed to examine this issue of branding  further through setting up a sub –group comprising Rupert Douglas ,Richard Greene,Alex McCroskie,Deborah Hall,Chris Ford  , Barney Hill and Allan McNicoll.


Action Pt : Allan McNicoll to set meeting up for above sub – group.


Subsequent to the meeting it was considered there would be clear merit in revising the cover of the Cumbria Cycle Map to ensure its branding would be similar to future maps/leaflets to come forward and the CTB and CC are to consider further  proposed details from Rupert Douglas’s consultancy.




  

   7. Website


The prospectus sets out the merit in having a dedicated Cumbria-  wide cycle website.

Presently CTB has asked that their website Lake District Outdoors which includes a section on cycling is updated  and the issue is whether this will suffice or whether we still need at least a portal from this website to a Cycle Cumbria page linking into all relevant websites.



Action Point : Allan McNicoll to set up small sub-group to consider the issue further.





8.a)  Hadrians Cycleway(HCW)


The route is to be launched from Silloth on Wednesday 19th July through to South Shields with stop o/n in Carlisle.Sustrans in association with Hadrians Tourism Partnership are organising a trail blazing ride starting at Oxenholme which will give the opportunity to highlight recent work being undertaken  at Gilpin Bridge and Skelwith Bridge.


 There are still issues to overcome with the HCW in particular through Carlisle and north of Maryport to Silloth.



b) Walney to Wear


The route is to be extended to provide a Walney to Whitby route.

There is need for better monitoring of the route with the need for more counters in Cumbria.


The signing of the remaining section in Eden should be carried out by April.



9. Cycling for Health Officer


Funded by North Cumbria Primary Care Trusts for two years and based at the County Council the post holder will be working with individuals/groups often from the most disadvantaged areas to develop and promote projects which engage them in cycling.

It is anticipated that the post holder will start April/May.



10.Any Other Business.


a) It is considered that there is a need to engage the Train Operating Companies to look at ways of improving people’s ability to carry bikes and access  areas of Cumbria for cycling eg the start points of the National Cycle Network.


Action Pt: Allan McNicoll to arrange meeting with TOCs to discuss the above.



 b) Reference was made to 2 schemes being developed by Amey Mouchel .


     : A590  Gilpin Bridge to Stakes Moss

     - it provides a new off-road section of the W2W and was opened in February this year.


     : A595  Chapel Brow to Oily Johnnies (Public House)

     - it provides off-road facilities and should be opened in April this year


c) A Cycle Tourism Strategy is being produced for North Yorkshire



d) There is a need to take action to remove Cumbria Cycleway signs given the Council is no longer promoting it.



11. Date of Next Meeting


The next meeting will be in September 2006



Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share via e-mail Print Share on Delicious Share on Digg Share on Google Bookmarks Share on LinkedIn Share on LiveJournal Share on Newsvine Share on Reddit Share on Stumble Upon Share on Tumblr